Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Gladiator mum goes into battle

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23490067-5007422,00.html


NOT many mums can boast they have taken on Gladiators.

But that's exactly what SA fitness fan and mother of two Janere Reid can trumpet.

Gladiator mum goes into battle

The 37-year-old's performance on Channel 7's Gladiators will air tonight, making her the second South Australian competitor to hit the arena this series.

And her children Sheldon, 15, and Xavier, 11, couldn't be prouder. "They love it," Janere said. "They're running around saying `are you ready?'. That's why I like doing this stuff, to inspire my kids. Hopefully being 37 and a mother, I get to inspire other women to get in the gym."

She said she had mixed feelings about the original Gladiators series in the 1990s.

"I thought it was funny and scary. I can remember Vulcan for some reason, but now I've been in it, I know how real it is," she said. "It took me out of my comfort zone, which is what I needed."

Janere is a personal trainer at Fitness First, where she works alongside boyfriend and fellow trainer Maz Mallak. For the past three years, she has competed in both the state and national body building titles and this year has her eyes set on the world titles.

And if you're wondering what it's like behind the arena, according to Janere the claws were put away. "I think we all bonded," she said.

Tonight, win or lose, Janere says she won't let go of the Gladiator dream. "I wouldn't mind becoming an actual gladiator later on," she said.

- Hannah Silverman

No comments:

Post a Comment